Sunday, October 3, 2010

Journal

Today I finished my first journal from cover to cover. I have had this journal since my senior year in high school. The ability to keep a record in these times is a wonderful thing. I have looked back to the past two years and I do realize how far I have come. I have graduated from high school, been in the Hill Cumora Pageant :D, worked full-time for a construction company, and finally come down to Snow college to continue my education.

There are so many things that I have learned about myself and others who I have come in contact with. When I was in high school, I learned a lot about how to treat others and those whom I care about. When I went to the Hill Cumora Pageant I learned how wonderful missionary work is, and how true the restoration on the gospel is. While working construction, I learned that even though several people may not have the same standards that I have, they still care about me and want me to learn and become better. Down here at Snow College, I have learned how to manage time, and be a more reliable person.

So today while I was writing my final entry, I discovered why keeping a journal is so important. My journal is my legacy. Today I listened to a talk in General Conference about names. What kind of name have I made for myself? Well, I must say that I have come farther that I originaly thought possible.

I remember a while back my mother was telling me about her journal and how she was having a difficult time finding time to write in it. She discussed with me what my legacy is. My Legacy is all of the spiritual experiences that have changed who I am and who I am trying to become. I want my legacy to be one of inspiration who all those who will read it. I recognize that I have not been the best example of a disciple, but that is why I am becoming a disciple of Christ.

I pray that all of you who read this will take some time right after you read this to take a step back and look at your life. What have you learned spiritually? How have you changed your life? The answers to these questions are your legacy and you need to write them down. Please write them down before you forget.

I know that the scriptures are a form of journalism. The book of Mormon is a witness to all those who read it that we must change. It gives very good examples of how to change and become better disciples of Christ.

In the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I've been typing up my old journals lately. It's fun to see what was important to me way back in the day. I feel fortunate to have kept a journal more or less consistently since I was 12. Reading them is a very interesting way to better understand yourself.