Friday, October 1, 2010

The Goodness Test

When I was back in high school, I remember what my mother had told me about dating and relationships. At that time I was in a relationship with someone whom I really cared about. My mother had said, 'right now you are passing the goodness test.' I didn't know what she was talking about and she proceeded to tell a story about her brother.

Back when my mother was in her mid twenties, her brother had met someone whom he really cared about. And whenever he wasn't with her, he would tell his family and friends about her and all that they did together. My mother wasn't used to her brother acting this way, it seemed unusual, but my mom also noticed that he was very happy.

In short, the goodness test is a third person test. For example, when two people are in a relationship, it is noticed by their friends and family that they are happy one with another, and they are willing to share their happiness with others.

After my mother had told me the story, I stood back from my life and realized that she was right. I loved to tell stories about my friend and what we did together. I was happy and I really enjoyed all that I learned.

Today I was thinking about this same story (while in prep for homecoming next weekend), and I discovered much the same with those of us who are in a great relationship with Jesus Christ. When we have a testimony of the Gospel, we love to talk about it and we want to share our happiness with others.

But how do we know we are passing the goodness test with Jesus Christ? Well, first we need to step back and look at out lives through Christ's eyes. He knows very well how you are doing and where you are going. Recognize that his hand is in each little thing in life. Next, we must ask ourselves, 'Am I really sharing my happiness with others?' If the answer is no, then we need to change.

There is a lot of power when you repeat to yourself, 'I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.' I have said that to myself several times, and each time I follow through with what is right. I bear witness that this is the true church of God.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Fascinating insight. I have really enjoyed living in my new place for the past month or so. I've had many opportunities to share my testimony with people, and I always feel great when I do. I've invited a lot of friends to general conference this weekend...I hope some of them make it! Do you accept messages on facebook, twitter, or email? You can find me on fb @ facebook.com/skyhighty or twiiter @alltyler

Braden S. said...

It would be best for me to get to know you from email. If you would like to email me, my address is tranquilitykid@gmail.com