Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Humility

Yesterday, I was having a hard day. I got through my classes, and I got some homework done. And I was just tired of working. At seven I had a meeting with the rest of the Elders Quorum presidency (yeah, I'm the second counselor), and we were starting to make home teaching assignments to those in our ward. I remember that I was doing well and I felt the spirit and I did feel somewhat better.

The thought at the beginnning of the meeting was about idleness. If Satan is going to get those of us who are strong in the gospel, he will use idleness. The way he will start is by getting us to be lax in our scripture study, and in our prayers. If we do slow down our study and our prayers, so to speak, we will lose a greater portion of the spirit.

After the meeting, I went to the library to do some calculus homework. I think I only got about fifteen problems done in the hour I was there. I couldn't focus very well. I came back to my dorm and I started playing on the computer. While I was playing I remembered the thought we had at the presidency meeting. And I realized that I was still feeling down about myself. So I turned off my computer and started reading my scriptures. I started to feel a little better, and then I got down on my knees in prayer.

In my prayer, I recognized the spirit of the Lord in most of the things I had done during the day. I finally pinpointed why I was feeling down. I was not recognizing the Lord in the things happening throughout the day. I was being selfish. I asked forgiveness for my sins of not remembering Him. I realize now that I need more humility, to be more aware of the Lord and all that He does for me.

After I had prayed and I started getting ready for bed, I could the feel the spirit more that I had the entire day.

I pray that this experience will show a little more about what humility is and why it is required.

In the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: